THE BEGINNING 1835-1860
- In 1817 the Mississippi territory became a state. By 1830 settlers were moving
into the Chickasaw Indian land in Northeastern Mississippi.
- The Stage Coach route from Old East Port, TN to Holly Springs, MS came through "Old
Rienzi" Wayside Station was built on what is now Highway 356, about 2 miles
west of Highway 45. At Wayside there was a two-story log building which provided the
travelers with a place to eat and sleep. The stage coach was furnished with fresh
horses. Later a school was established here. The log building stood until
around 1918. Mrs. Opal Rutledge taught at the one story, one room, one teacher
school from 1930-1934. The school was later remodeled and turned into a private
- New settlers who came to the new state of Mississippi and settled in the Rienzi area:
Boone, Clement, Ellis, Gilchrist, Whitesides, Rowsey, Kemp, Taylor, Barton, Stephans,
Scroggins, Savage, McCord, Jobe. It's anyones guess who was here first.
- On September 16, 1836, the people held an organization meeting to draw up the Articles
of Association and elect stockholders for the Town of Rienzi. The stockholders
were Benjamin Clements, Armistead Barton, R.H. Boone, John C. Whitset, Daniel Gilchrist,
and John S. Brown. The town of Rienzi was located in Tishomingo county, the largest
in the state until it was divided into Alcorn, Prentiss, and Tishomingo Counties in 1870.
- The Post Office in Old Rienzi was established on July 5, 1839. Charles W. Williams was
the first Postmaster and his home, now known as the Roebke Home, served as the post
office. Mr. Williams operated a hotel in his home also.
- The Mobile and Ohio Railroad laid tracks through Rienzi in 1859-1860 and the town moved
to the railroad. Not where the railroad had planned but on the Old Stage Road where
it turned East (Front Street) and on Main Street, the street to the Depot.
Back to Index
Back to Rienzi History Index